09. 04. 2018 – Following a unanimous decision of the Board of Directors, the Public Open University Croatian House Petrinja, managing the cinema in Petrinja, today became a full member. The first travelling cinema screening in Petrinja took place on 26 February 1898 in the Halleger Hall. The official opening of a full-time cinematograph in Petrinja happened on 8 October 1911, the same day the electric power plant in Petrinja was launched into operation. The shows took place in the cinema located in Žitni trg, today’s City Market.
The longest cinema operating period was the one in the specially adapted and renovated cinema building called Jedinstvo, in 5 Turkulin Street. After the renovation of the cultural centre, when 470 seats and screening equipment were built in, the films were screened on this location since 1985.
After the Croatian War of Independence and the return to Petrinja, the damaged cinema equipment was repaired. The first screened film was the American history film Braveheart on 12 April 1996. The long cinema operating tradition in Petrinja unfortunately came to a halt in 2009, when films could no longer be screened on 35 mm due to the impossibility of repairing the equipment. The Petrinja cinema was digitised thanks to the efforts of the Croatian Audiovisual Centre and Ministry of Culture in 2015 and the films today are screened on a digital projector. The screening schedule and other information are available on the official website of the Public Open University Croatian House Petrinja, here.
On 21 March we welcomed another new member to our Network, today counting a total of 60 members! By a unanimous decision of the Board of Directors, the Šibenik Film Club, operating at the premises of the Šibenik City Museum, became a full member. The cinema’s purpose is to rekindle the interest in the art of cinema in Šibenik, as well as improved understanding of film culture, therefore the repertory of the Šibenik Film Club consists of the films (regardless of the country of origin) of outstanding value and quality. To that aim, the Šibenik Film Club team is particularly engaged in selecting a programme presenting a filmmaker’s work or the significance of a national cinema. They also follow art house trends and are open to new tendencies in cinematic expression and approach to the audience. Innovative practices are their main working guideline, as well as rediscovering and re-evaluating forgotten cultural and heritage outdoor locations, including a continuous integration of the community, aiming to make film available to everyone everywhere. This is particularly relevant in modern cities, whose outskirts are self-sufficient units and historical centres are spaces demanding long-term revitalisation. In their view, a careful selection of films is particularly relevant in maintaining audience, therefore they located the cinema in the Šibenik City Museum, planning a straightforward continuity of cultural excellence provided by this institution. A modest 40 seat capacity (up to 55) creates an intimate big screen atmosphere. The Šibenik Film Club, i.e. the Šibenik City Museum, is the only place in the city screening throughout the entire year.
The cinema is located in the lobby of the Museum, next to the famous Šibenik Cathedral, a UNESCO heritage site in the historical centre. The Museum space is extremely attractive, since it is housed by the Prince’s Palace, and in 2012 it was fully renovated, with cutting-edge equipment and amenities such as floor heating. The cinema is located under the visually impressive glass structure, with a view of the starry sky. The screening schedule is available here.
On 17 July 2017, another full member joined the Cinema Network – Đuro Arnold Public Open University, managing the Cinema Ivanec. The history of cinema activities in Ivanec dates back to the spring of 1920. Entrepreneur Rudolf Patrlić owned the first cinema/theatre in Ivanec, ‘Prosvjeta’, in no. 5 Mačkovac. For a while the theatre also served as a gym, and later hosted the two-year School for Boys. The first screening took place on 4 April 1920. It was Queen of Spades by Pyotr Chardynin, filmed in 1910 and based on the story by the Russian romantic poet Pushkin. In 1947, the cinema was taken over by the Department of Education of Ivanec County, which managed the premises until 1951. The following year came the new management, Ivanec Agricultural Cooperative. The cinema was built next to the former Cooperative House, new equipment was installed and the Coop operated the cinema until 1963, when it was taken over by the People’s University, today’s Đuro Arnold Public Open University. Activity ran continuously until 2013, when the cinema was temporarily closed. The theatre was renovated in 2016, and reconstruction and modernisation resulted in an exemplary mixed-use space with high-end equipment, intended primarily for film screenings, as well as concerts, theatrical performances, festivals, conferences etc. The screening schedule and other information are available on the official PUO website.
On 4 July 2017, another full member joined the Cinema Network – August Cesarec Centre for Culture and Cinema, managing the Cinema Kinoteka and Summer Cinema Tuškanac. August Cesarec Centre for Culture and Cinema and its activities and programming stimulate promotion of culture and art, artistic expression, development of creativity, life quality improvement, cultural heritage awareness, ecological awareness, lifelong learning, independent decision-making, activating individual and collective responsibility, as well as promotion of culture of non-violence and democracy. August Cesarec Centre for Culture and Cinema continues the long tradition of cinema profession, since recently also at Tuškanac Summer Cinema, Dubravkin put bb. In addition to partnering with renowned Croatian festivals, the Centre’s programming strategy focuses on systematic screening of relevant titles covering all genres in film history, mainly European and generally non-American production, but not excluding contemporary and the most prolific – American production of all genres. The programming strives to achieve a balance between older and more recent film history, with relevant contemporary titles of all genres. The screening schedule and other information about the Centre are available on the official website.
On May 10th 2017 Korčula Centre for Culture managing Korčula Home of Culture became full member od our Cinema Network. Korčula Home of Culture was built in 1956 and is located in the very centre of the town of Korčula. Film screenings were always held (with shorter interruptions) and 2005. year hall was a fully restored, new Dolby surround system was built in and 35 mm projectors were refurbished. Korčula Home of Culture is the only cinema on the island of Korčula, and it was the only cinema in all Croatian islands that entered the digitization project in 2012 conducted by the Ministry of culture and the Croatian audiovisual Centre. Cinema hall is a multi-purpose hall where the social and cultural events are held throughout the year. Its capacity is 250 seats, and if necessary in the parterre can accommodate an additional 130 chairs which significantly increases the capacity of the hall. For screening schedule and other information, visit the official web site of the Centre for Culture here.
On April 25th 2017. we have become richer for another member. Public Open University Matija Antun Relković Nova gradiška which manages a multi-functional Hall Relković has become full member of our Cinema Network. Nova Gradiška has a great cinema history. Somewhere at the beginning of the century in the main street, today’s home family Mikić, cinema “Uranija” was working. ‘ 41. changed its name to “Slikokaz Europa”, in ’47. continues to operate under the name “kinematograf Psunj,” and during 50’s new contemporary cinema building was opened in today’s Street Miroslav Kraljevic. It worked there until year 2006 with small interruptions in the mid-90s. The cinema was digitalized this year and first projection was held on April 7th in the multifunctional hall Relković. For screening schedule and other information, visit the official web site of the University here.
On June 13th 2016 Cinema Marof managed by Public Open University Novi Marof became equal member of Cinema Network. Cinema Marof is located at Centre for Culture “Ivan Rabuzin” that is built in 2011 on the same place that old cinema was and where projections have not yet held. Plan and wish that team POU Novi Marof has is to revitalize cinema and continuously maintain film screenings for all age groups. Cinema Marof programme is here.
On 8th March 2016. Cinema network welcomed a new full member, Đakovo Centre for culture. Đakovo Centre for culture is cultural institution established on 16th May 1994 as one of the succesor of National University ” A. Cesarec ” in Đakovo. Đakovo Centre for culture is in charge for realisation of film programme, scene programme (drama, folklore and other perrformances) and art exhibitions. Programs marking significant dates in Đakovo, programs for primary and secondary schools from Đakovo as well as book presentations, lectures and political debates are held in the hall of the Centre. Đakovo Centre for culture programme is here.
On 19 January 2016 Mediterranean Film Festival Split has become an equal member of the Cinema Network. “Kino Mediteran” is a traveling cinema that aims at restoring movie repertoire in smaller towns throughout Dalmatia where cinemas have long been closed. It is a year-round project in Lastovo, Hvar, Komiža and Bol, whereas in other towns it takes place during the summer season in the form of weekly screenings or three-day visits. The long-term goal of the project is to include as many towns as possible into the year-round cinema network. Cinema programme is here.
30 September 2015 cinema MM centre managed by Student Centre in Zagrebu, became full member of Cinema Network. Since 2015, MM Centre’s film programme takes place under the concept of Short Images (Kratke slike) and focuses on the short film form, neglected in regular cinema listings, and on the presentation of in the broader public insufficiently represented aspects of film art and poetics, like experimental film and works by young filmmakers, as well as the sociological and cultural aspect of film festivals in smaller environments. Cinema programme is here.
Cinema Hrvatski dom in Pakrac managed by Culture and Arts Association ‘Sloga’ Pakrac on August 21 2015 has become an equal member of the Cinema Network. Cinema Hrvatski dom has a long tradition, whichwas cut short in 1991 because the beginning of the Homeland War when theater building was set on fire and completely destroyed. The building of the Hrvatski dom was renovated in 2001, and work began in 2013, when was digitalised due to the program of the Ministry of Culture and the Croatian Audiovisual Centre. Hall theater is air-conditioned and consists of 290 seats. Cinema Hrvatski dom works exclusively thanks to the voluntary work of its members KPD “Sloga” Pakrac. Program cinema is here.
In Mid-july 2015 Cinema Network welcomed a new full member, the Summer Cinema Hid – Vis, Gradina Vis d.o.o., the company managing Hrid Summer Cinema in Vis. Hrid Summer Cinema is up and running since 1969 and on today’s location it has been acting uninterruptedly for the past 45 years. Hrid Summer Cinema is also called ‘a million stars cinema’ – it is located right by the sea, which makes this cinema in Vis one of the most beautiful cinemas off the Croatian coast. The screenings run from mid-June to mid-September, and the listings are available on the cinema’s official Facebook page on this link.
Early in June 2015, Restart, the cinema exhibitor operating Dokukino KIC, also became a full member of the Cinema Network. Dokukino KIC is specific as it specialises in documentary films only. Aside from regular documentary releases, it screens entries from the selections of many regional festivals, such as Zagreb Film Festival, Motovun Film Festival, Sarajevo Film Festival, Liburnia Film Festival, Dokufest, Mediteran Film Festival etc. Dokukino’s line-up is available on the official website here.
In mid-May 2015 we were honoured to welcome Gradsko kino Sinj d.o.o., operating the Sinj Town Cinema, founded in 2004 and running uninterruptedly since. The Cinema changed location several times and has been active on its current location since 1988, when the building was renovated. The theatre has 521 seats and the Sinj Town Cinema’s schedule is available on the official Facebook page, on the following link.